All Saints’ Church

All Saints’ Church

On Saturday 20 August 1485 Richard entered Leicester at the north gate (now the point at which Highcross Street, Sanvey Gate and Northgate meet). Within a hundred yards he would have passed All Saints’ church. All the other surviving churches of medieval Leicester – those dedicated to St. Martin, St Margaret, St Mary and St Nicholas – stand in their churchyards. Only All Saints’ has the distinctly medieval feature of opening directly onto the pavement, as do most of the ancient churches of London, Norwich and York.