Great Meeting

Great Meeting

This large brick building stands in its own quite extensive and delightfully secluded graveyard on the corner of Bond Street and Butt Close Lane. The word ‘great’ applies not to its size, though that is remarkable, but because it housed two congregations – the Independents (or Congregationalists) and the Presbyterians. One of the Presbyterians was William Lewis, the man who admired Wesley and gave considerable help to the early Leicester Methodists. The chapel was put up in 1708 and is Leicester’s earliest surviving building to be entirely built in brick. The chapel became Unitarian in the first half of the nineteenth century.