The Site of the Three Crowns

The Site of the Three Crowns

Bishop Street derives its name from William Bishop (1755-1820), the owner of the Three Crowns coaching inn that stood on the corner of Granby Street and Horsefair  Street. The patch of land that he sold for the building of the chapel was probably part of his pastures for the grazing of horses. The bank that occupies the site of his inn was designed in the Italian manner by William Millican in 1870.