The Bishop Street Baptismal Font

The Bishop Street Baptismal Font

The font may be made from marble that once adorned St Paul's Methodist Church. From 1862 until 1892 St Paul's stood on London Road on a site now occupied by the railway station. When it was demolished, the architect, Arthur Wakerley, acquired its fine columns for a factory in North Evington. As Wakerley was a member of the Bishop Street congregation, it may be that he also rescued materials for the font.